Auto and General Insurance: The Company
Auto and General, also known as Auto & General, is part of the Telesure Group of companies. Telesure also owns many other familiar names on the South African insurance market, including Dial Direct Insurance, Prosper, Virseker, Unity Insurance, Virgin Money Insurance and 1st for Women. Founded in 1985, Auto & General Insurance South Africa focuses on short term insurance products. Auto & General Insurance is currently led by chairman D. G. Steyn, CEO L. Vermaak and managing director T. J. Creamer.
Where to Find Auto and General
Along with many other insurance companies in the Telesure Group, the headquarters of Auto and General Insurance is located at Auto & General Park, 1 Telesure Lane, Riverglen, Dainfern.
Which Services Do Auto and General Insurance Provide?
There are a variety of insurance options available from Auto and General Insurance. They provide vehicle, life, business and personal insurance along with household insurance.
Household Insurance with Auto and General
Household insurance is designed to protect what is inside your home (furnishings etc.) from damage or theft. Auto and General Insurance offer a comprehensive policy that covers the following:
- Coverage against home contents being stolen, lost or accidentally damaged, the amount of coverage you have will depend on a list of your home contents and their value that you must provide to Auto and General Insurance;
- Includes coverage for spoiled food in refrigerators during power outages;
- Includes coverage for guest and employee belongings;
- Coverage for stolen washing hanging on a washing line and garden furniture stolen from the garden;
- Covers money, credit cards, bank cards, coins, stamps and personal documents;
- Covers rent to live elsewhere if damage to your home makes this necessary;
- Covers veterinary care for pets if injured;
- Includes coverage for locks or keys broken during a robbery;
- Includes coverage for medical expenses incurred by an injury from a pet or a defect in your building;
- Also includes liability coverage for you, employees or tenants, with coverage of R5 million, R10 million or R20 million depending on how much you wish your premiums to be.
In addition to this all insurance policies with Auto and General Insurance also include access to the following services free of charge:
- Entertainment Assist: access to entertainment news for your area as well as hotel and travel bookings;
- Medical Assist: access to medical advice via telephone as well as emergency medical response, transport of medications, repatriation and various other medical advantages;
- Trauma Assist: access to counselling in the event of a traumatic experience, including accompaniment to court hearings if necessary;
- Home Assist: access to a database of plumbers, electricians and other handy workers, covers call out fees and the first hour of work;
- Legal Assist: access to expert legal advice.
Note that Auto and General Insurance does offer discounts to customers who live on residential estates, due to these areas being lower risk, which includes a discount of up to 75% on home contents insurance.
How Are Customer Reviews for Auto and General Insurance?
Hellopeter.com, the website that lets consumers rate service providers, lists over 1700 reviews for Auto and General Insurance from the past year, which is a high number compared to other insurance companies we've reviewed. Of these reviews, 1297 were positive, giving Auto and General a very good 75% positive rating. Again, this is a high number compared to other insurance companies reviewed, and is very encouraging news for future customers. Positive reviews centered around great customer service and fast claim fullfilment, whilst the small number of negative reviews complained about claims not being filled. It is important to note, however, that these customer reviews were for ALL of Auto and General's short term insurance products (including, for example, vehicle insurance). But it's relatively safe to assume that a good customer service ethic in one area of the company also means that the same applies in other areas of the company. Finally, all reviews had feedback from an Auto and General Insurance representative, further showing that the company takes customer service seriously.
How User Friendly is the Auto & General Website?
The Auto and General Insurance website is a great site for all types of insurance shoppers, whether you're new to the market or not. The website is easy to navigate and everything is clearly labelled, letting you find the section you need in seconds, and information is well laid out and easy to understand. If we had to criticise one thing about the website it would be that the print is a little small, and often red in colour, rather than black, which could make it tough to read for some shoppers.
Auto and General Insurance: The Conclusion
Auto and General Insurance provides a detailed insurance policy for house contents, that seems to cover all the main areas. For customers looking to buy one policy, this could be an advantage, though those looking to buy just one kind of contents insurance may find that this policy is a little too comprehensive. Customer reviews for Auto and General are really worth mentioning again, since they're very good compared to many other companies that we've seen. On the whole, it's certainly best to shop around though. You can get up to 9 free insurance quotes by clicking the banner above, which should be useful in helping you make this all important decision.
Main subject: Auto and General Insurance