About New National Assurance
New National Assurance got its start in 1930 when the New India Assurance Company established a branch in Natal. The company was eventually taken over by South African ownership and in 1971 was renamed the New India Assurance Company of South Africa. It wasn’t until 1990 that the New National Assurance Company got its present name. According to the company website New National is an empowered company, getting a sizable amount of both shareholders and employees from previously disadvantaged South African communities. The current Executive Director of New National Assurance is Mahmoud Rajab.
Where is the New National Assurance Company Located?
The head office of New National can be found at Field House, 25 Joe Slovo Street, Durban 4001. There is also a mailing address for the company at P.O. Box 1610, Durban 4001.
Which Services Do New National Assurance Provide?
New National Assurance provide insurance in six main areas: commercial, marine, corporate, engineering, takaful (a form of insurance that abides by Islamic law), and domestic. In their domestic insurance line, New National Assurance offer buildings and vehicle insurance as well as household insurance.
New National Insurance for Your Home
A New National insurance policy for your home contents will protect your possessions against loss and theft as well as against damage caused by fire, floods, lightening, explosions, earthquake, snow, geysers, malicious damage (such as vandalism), impact or falling trees. More specific features of the policy are as follows:
- Covers refrigerated or frozen food that is spoiled due to power outage or break down of your appliance;
- Covers money stolen from your home as well as personal documents, coins and stamps, and fraudulent use of your credit or debit cards;
- Covers washing stolen from a washing line and garden furniture;
- Covers possessions of guests and domestic workers as long as they are stolen from your property;
- Covers keys and locks against loss or damage;
- Covers death of the insured and their spouse if death occurs due to a house fire or break in;
- Covers medical expenses if injury is caused by a pet or a defect in your home, as well as vet expenses in case a pet is injured in a road accident;
- Covers breakage of glass, mirrors, TVs, LEDs and LCDs;
- Covers possessions being moved in a removal truck or being stored in a registered furniture warehouse;
- Covers accommodation costs if you are unable to live in your home due to an insured event;
- Covers fire brigade costs;
- Covers both landslip and subsidence;
- Covers accidental damage to possessions (although the New National Assurance website does list many exceptions, things that are not covered include normal wear and tear, scratches on glass, chipping or denting of furniture, data recovery, and electrical or mechanical breakdown).
What New National Assurance Don’t Cover
New National also provide a list of specific things that their home insurance policies do not cover. These include:
- Possessions that are specifically insured with their own policy (such as expensive jewellery);
- Certain kinds of documents, including rare books, promissory notes and cheques;
- Swimming pool and borehole equipment;
- Possessions that are damaged by fire in a thatch roof building;
- Possessions stolen from garages or outbuildings unless there is evidence of forced entry;
- Any possessions in an unapproved building;
- Possessions that are used only for business (such as certain home office equipment, for example);
- Damage done during removal or storage outside of South Africa;
- Break in or theft whilst your home is sub-let;
- Damge done whilst you're home is unoccupied (i.e. if no one lives in your home for more than 60 consecutive days).
How Are Customer Reviews for New National Assurance?
Hellopeter, the website allowing consumers to review service providers, lists 29 reviews of New National Assurance from the last year. This is a relatively low number compared to other insurance companies, who often get hundreds of reviews. 25 of these reviews were complaints, citing poor customer service and unfulfilled claims. However, it must be remembered that these reviews are about all of New National’s services (not just home insurance), and that the number of reviews is low. Customers are much more likely to complain than to compliment. Plus, a New National representative has responded to all but the two most recent reviews (posted in the last week), indicating that online customer service is a priority.
How User Friendly is the New National Assurance Website?
The New National Assurance website was a hassle free experience in general. Navigation was easy, the website provides a nice, simple overview of policies and then links to a more detailed documentation page for more information. There were few technical household insurance terms and definitions, meaning that everything was quite simple to read. The only small improvement we think could be made is that currently it’s impossible to open a page in a new tab from the drop down menus, making comparing pages a little difficult. Other than that though, the New National Assurance website does a good job of clearly explaining their policy options.
New National Assurance in Summary
New National Assurance say they are the oldest empowered short term insurance company on the South African market. They provide for a wide range of insurance options, including household insurance for private clients. Consumer reviews aren’t stellar, but with such a low number of reviews these can’t be relied on. When shopping for insurance the only sure way to get the best deal at the best price is to get quotes from several companies. Comparison shopping is our recommendation for ensuring that you get what you need!
Main subject: New National Assurance