OUTSurance Insurance was founded in 1998 by Rene Otto, Howard Aron and Willem Roos. The company forms a part of the Rand Merchant Insurance Group, which also has investments in other insurance companies such as Discovery Insure, MMI Holdings (formed by the merger of Metropolitan Insurance and Momentum Insurance) and RMB Structured Insurance. The current CEO of OUTSurance is founder Willem Roos, and as well as operating on the South African market, OUTSurance also provides services in both Namibia and Australia.
OUTSurance Contact Details
The OUTSurance head office is located at 1241 Embankment Road, Zwartkop Ext. 7, Centurion 0157. There is also a postal address for the company at P.O. Box 8443, Centurion 0046. If you wish to contact OUTSurance by phone their number is 08 600 60 000, and you can call Monday to Thursday between 08:00 and 20:00, Fridays from 08:00 until 18:00, and Saturdays from 08:00 to 13:00. Unfortunately, the OUTSurance website does not list a contact email address, though there are contact forms on the site itself to allow a representative to email you. The OUTsurance website can be found at www.outsurance.co.za.
Which Services Do OUTSurance Provide?
OUTSurance provide for most major insurance needs, including vehicle, business and life insurance, as well as household insurance (both buildings and home contents insurance).
OUTSurance Home Insurance
OUTSurance household insurance policies are designed to cover your property against theft, deliberate damage, or natural disasters such as storms and flooding. You will also be covered against water damage (from burst geysers, for example). OUTsurance offers two policies, called Standard and Essential. The Standard policy also covers personal liability (in case someone should be injured on your property), whilst the Essential policy is designed to cover contents worth less than R50 000 and (as far as we can tell from the website) does not include personal liability. Other than that the two policies have identical features:
- A fixed excess, regardless of claims made (you can find out about more about excesses on our household insurance terms and definitions page);
- Theft coverage for personal property, the property of guests or domestic workers, money and personal documents, garden furniture and groceries stolen from your vehicle;
- In the case of credit card fraud, OUTSurance will pay the first R2,500 spent fraudulently;
- Freezer and fridge coverage, to cover food spoilt in the event of a power outage;
- Pet medical expenses coverage, including coverage should your pet be in a road accident;
- Coverage to replace locks, keys and remote locking devices;
- Coverage for up to R5,000 should your spouse die due to a break in or fire in the home.
Optional Extras from OUTsurance
OUTSurance also offer a range of optional extras that you can add to either of their home contents insurance policies, though you will need to pay higher premiums should you decide to go for any of these options. The choices are:
- Veldfire Coverage (to protect your property against damage from veldfires);
- Accidental Damage of Contents being Transported (to protect belongs when you're moving house in case they should be damaged while being packed or transported);
- Insurance Against Theft of Contents being Transported (in case belongings should be stolen while being moved)
- Extended Liability Cover (you can increase your personal liability coverage to up to R20 million);
- Garden and Leisure Equipment Insurance (for things such as pool equipment or children's playsets);
- Cover for Goods Used for Business Purposes (to protect items such as computers or fax machines that are located in your home but are used for business);
- Extended Theft Insurance for Unoccupied Buildings (provides coverage in case your home or other building will be unoccupied for more than 60 days).
How Are Customer Reviews for OUTSurance?
The consumer review website Hellopeter lists 5417 review for OUTSurance posted over the last year. Compared to other insurance companies reviewed here that's a fairly high number. The good news for consumers is that 3505 of these reviews are compliments, giving OUTSurance a 65% positive rating. OUTSurance received many compliments for their excellent customer service, though there were a fair few complaints about slow claim processing. It must be noted though that these reviews are about all of OUTSurance's services, not just their household insurance section, though it's unlikely that customer service is different in different insurance sections.
How User Friendly is the OUTSurance Website?
The OUTSurance website is nicely designed and easy to navigate. Finding what we needed was simple, and policies are explained in clear and easy to understand language. The only problem that we had is that the difference between the Standard and Essential policies isn't made completely clear. We are unsure as to whether or not the Essential policy also contains personal liability coverage. Other than that though, OUTSurance have designed a website that makes insurance shopping pretty hassle free.
OUTSurance in Conclusion
OUTSurance offers two home contents insurance policies along with a list of optional extras, making their household insurance policies quite flexible. Even better, consumer reviews for the company are also comparatively very encouraging. As good as OUTSurance's reviews are, however, it is always best to get quotes from multiple companies. This will allow you to compare policies and prices, making sure that you get the best deal for your individual needs.
Main subject: OUTSurance;