Prosper is a relatively new company on the South African market, and may seem quite confusing. Despite having their own website, Prosper is technically a set of products that is offered by Budget Insurance. In turn, Budget Insurance is part of the large Telesure Group, which contains many other insurance companies such as First for Women, Dial Direct, Auto and General and Unity Insurance. Prosper markets itself as providing simple and easy to understand insurance solutions (according to their website). Unfortunately, the Prosper website does not offer much more information about the history of the company (or product).
Where is Prosper Located?
You will find the head office of Prosper Insurance on the 17th Floor of 25 Owl Street, Milpark, Johannesburg 2092. There is also a mailing address for the company, which is: P.O. Box 11250, Johannesburg 2000.
Which Services Do Prosper Provide?
Prosper provide for a range of insurance needs. They offer vehicle and watercraft insurance, as well as buildings, portable possessions and household insurance.
Home Contents Insurance with Prosper Insurance
A Prosper Insurance home insurance policy will protect your possessions against loss, theft or damage caused by fire, natural disasters, explosions, storms and lightening, malicious damage (such as vandalism), impact (by aircraft or trees, for example), or water damage caused by geysers or pipes. The features of the policy are as follows:
- Covers washing and garden furniture for up to R2,000;
- Covers food spoiled in a fridge or freezer due to power outage for up to R1,400;
- Up to R1,000 coverage for money stolen from your home, R2,700 for credit or debit cards used fraudulently, and R2,000 for personal documents, stamps or coins;
- Covers possessions belonging to guests for up to R2,700, as well as possessions belonging to domestic employees for up to R2,700 (as long as there is evidence that they were stolen);
- Locks and keys are covered for up to R1,400;
- Covers the death of the insured or their spouse for up to R7,100 should death be caused by fire or break in;
- Up to R1,750 coverage for injuries to persons in your home due to either a defect in your building or caused by a family pet;
- Up to R1,750 coverage for family pets injured in road accidents;
- Provides coverage for accommodation costs should you be unable to stay in your home due to an insured event;
- Covers belongings in removal trucks;
- Covers accidental damage to TVs, mirrors or glass;
- Covers fire brigade charges;
- Covers householder's liability (should someone be injured in your home), tenant's liability (should you be renting and responsible for building damage), and domestic employee liability (should someone working for you in your home be injured).
Added Extras from Prosper
As well as the features of their household insurance policies, Prosper also offer various added extras with your policy. These are as follows:
- Access to 24 hour helplines for medical, trauma, legal and home assistance;
- Option to add Prosper Rewards to your policy (which will pay you your first year of premiums or 25% of your total premiums after four years of no claims, as well as offering a premium waiver for up to six months should you become injured, disabled, retrenched, ill or die);
- Option to add the Prosper Protection Plan (funeral insurance), Prosper Personal Accident Plan, Prosper Cellphone Plan (cellphone insurance) or Prosper Care Plan (additional trauma and medical care assistance in case of HIV exposure).
How Are Customer Reviews for Prosper?
Unfortunately, the customer review website Hellopeter does not list any reviews at all for Prosper. Given that Prosper is technically a product of Budget Insurance, this may make sense. We can tell you that Budget themselves have 991 reviews posted on Hellopeter, and of these 602 are positive, which means nearly two thirds of reviews compliment the company. Many consumers mentioned the excellent customer service they got from Budget, whilst a few did speak of unwanted marketing emails messages. However, we're not sure whether it's fair to judge Prosper service based on reviews of Budget Insurance, even though Prosper is part of their product range. This is because we don't know whether Prosper have their own customer service network or use Budget's.
How User Friendly is the Prosper Website?
Overall we were very satisfied with our experience on the Prosper website. Information is easy to find, and all policies are explained in detail without using too many household insurance terms and definitions. This certainly makes shopping easier. We do have a couple of small issues though. One is that Prosper provide little information about themselves on their website, and given that many customers want to know who they are buying from we feel this might be an oversight. The second issue is that while the website does use nice drop down menus (making it easy to find what you need), you can't open menu items in a new tab, you must open them in your original window. This means that it's difficult to compare two different pages on the website. Generally though, Prosper have done a nice job of presenting their products in an easy to understand fashion.
Prosper in Conclusion
Part of Budget Insurance and the Telesure Group, Prosper offer a range of insurance solutions, including a comprehensive household insurance policy. Unfortunately, we were unable to find consumer reviews of Prosper, though reviews of their parent Budget Insurance are quite encouraging. Of course, if you're insurance shopping you are going to want to get as many quotes as possible before making your decision. Once you've got quotes to compare you'll then be able to make sure that you're getting a great policy at a great price, which is what we all want!
Main subject: Prosper