Youi Insurance is a new company on the South African market, and is a wholly owned subsidiary of OUTSurance, which in turn is a member of the Rand Merchant Insurance Holdings Group. This means that although the company is new, they have stable backing from a known name in the insurance industry. Youi was designed to offer flexible, tailor made short term insurance packages to customers. According to the Youi South Africa website, the company name stands for “you insured.” Youi also operates in Australia and New Zealand.
Where is Youi Located?
While the Youi website lists contact numbers, they do not list a physical address. When searching for the address we were redirected to the OUTSurance home page, which makes us assume that Youi headquarters are located in the same place as OUTSurance's. If this is the case, then the physical address for Youi is: 1241 Embankment Road, Zwartkop Ext. 7, Centurion 0157.
Which Services Do Youi Provide?
Youi is a short term insurer, meaning that they do not offer long term policies such as life insurance. They focus mainly on car and household insurance policies.
Youi Home Contents Insurance
A Youi home insurance policy will protect your belongings against theft or damage that is caused by: explosions, fire, natural events (such as storms and floods), subsidence, water damage (from burst or leaking pipes), power surges and impact (such as animal damage or trees falling). In addition you will have the following features:
- Fire brigade charges are covered;
- Accidental breakage of TVs, mirrors and glass are covered;
- Belongings being transported in a removal van are covered;
- Temporary accommodation is covered should you be unable to stay in your home after an insured event;
- You will have householders liability (in case someone should be injured due to a fault in your home), tenant's liability (in case you should be renting accommodation and liable for damage to the building) and employer liability (in case a domestic worker is injured whilst working for you).
Youi lets you choose your own excess (find out more about what an excess is on our household insurance terms and definitions page), with a higher excess resulting in lower premiums. In addition, all customers have Youi Rewards (which give you one month's premium back every three years) and access to a 24 hour assistance number.
What Isn't Covered by Youi
Youi also list what is not covered by their home contents insurance policy. These things include:
- Vehicles on your property;
- Cash, coins, cheques and personal documents;
- Theft from unoccupied buildings (when the building has not been lived in for 90 days);
- Scorching from irons or cigarettes;
- Matching sets if only one item is damaged (meaning you can claim only for the damaged item not for both items).
Youi Optional Extras
You may add extra coverage to your Youi insurance policy if you choose, though you will pay higher premiums. Youi's optional extras include:
- Coverage for theft from unoccupied buildings;
- Coverage for garden and pool equipment and furniture;
- Coverage for items used for business (such as the contents of a home office);
- Extended liability (giving you higher coverage than the liability included in the basic policy);
- Coverage against damage from veldfires;
- Coverage for accidental breakage of items (other than the TVs, glass and mirrors included in the basic policy);
- Comprehensive subsidence coverage (giving additional coverage to what is included in the basic policy).
How Are Customer Reviews for Youi?
On the customer review website Hellopeter there are 9 reviews listed for Youi Insurance. Possibly this is because the company is so new to the South African market, but it is low number when compared to other insurance companies we've reviewed. 5 of these reviews are compliments, giving Youi a 55% positive rating. Interestingly, nearly all the positive reviews are about good customer service, whilst nearly all the negative reviews are about bad customer service. However, with such a low number of reviews it's difficult to judge how consumers feel about Youi's services.
How User Friendly is the Youi Website?
The Youi website is a hassle free shopping experience. The site is simple and easy to navigate. It gives a brief overview of policies and a link to a product brochure so that the customer can get more detailed explanations, all of which are explained in clear, easy to understand language. When it comes to information about policies we really can't fault the Youi website. The only small complaint that we have is that there wasn't much information available about the company itself. We couldn't find an address, a founding date, or even a list of the board of directors. Since some customers may want to know more about the company before deciding to buy a policy, we feel that Youi could add this information to their website.
Youi in Summary
Youi's home insurance policy is very flexible, in that there are plenty of optional extras to choose from. Customer reviews for the company are difficult to judge, however, since there are so few of them. We would always recommend getting quotes from more than one company though, whatever customer reviews look like. Having plenty of quotes to compare is the only way to ensure that you're getting the best deal on your home insurance.
Main subject: Youi